Monday, June 30, 2008

Aish and me


Now I must admit that I have alot of good things to say about Aish. I even attended a few shiurim from Aish superstars and was suitably impressed and entertained. I enjoyed reading their websites for many years. I even donated money online regularly as I realized that their stories were much more inspirational than anything going on at my local orthodox shul. I know many former BT's have isssues with Aish and its missionary tactics. Well it has an agenda and it is kind of clear to anyone who spends time with them, but at least their material is well marketed and presented.

That being said I came across this video by a Rabbi whom I highly respect(ed), and I guess am just concerned about how flimsy his arguments were.
Did I become more intelligent?

http://www.aish.com/literacy/concepts/Why_Investigate_Judaism_First0.asp

His arguments started as follows:
Why choose Judaism?
First using Occams' razor, monotheism beats out all polytheism, so lets filter out all polytheistic religons
Second, once we are narrowed down to monothiestic religons, Judaism is the oldest, older than Christianity and Islam. But both believe Christians and Muslims believe in Jewish bible and their scriptures refer to it, therefore we have the general agreement of the world's 2-3bn other monotheists.
Third, Judaism is very accessible, not secretive, lots of publications in all languages and encourages study.
Fourth, Judaism does not ask its adherents to give up their minds, rather its based on reason and logic
Fifth, your soul is Jewish, which will most be finely tuned to Judaism
Sixth, Judaism makes a claim to absolute truth as opposed to a lifestyle or nirvana

I wont insult my readers by rebutting this, you are welcome to do so in aish comments.

No comments: